Demolition of Spring Street Viaduct Bridges

DHG was subcontracted by C.W. Matthews to demolish and remove the two viaducts in downtown Atlanta. The Spring Street Viaduct, a major connector was built in 1923. The bridges were demolished in two phases over the course of two years. Bridges spanned an area referred to as the Gulch, which was a vast CSX railyard and parking lot near the Philips Arena.

PROJECT SUMMARY:

  • Two bridges demolished in phased work.
  • Bridges were 1,900 feet in length.
  • Project completed on schedule.

OWNER/CLIENT:
Georgia DOT/C.W. Matthews Contracting Co., Inc.

PROJECT COMPLETED:
Phased Project 
Sept 2014—Jan 2016

Back to Top