Wake Forest Innovation Quarter | Bailey Power Plant

Initially constructed in 1947 as a coal-fired plant for the R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company, Bailey Power Plant had long been idled when it was re-imagined as a focal point of Wake Forest Innovation Quarter in downtown Winston-Salem, NC.

DHG and DARI completed the exterior abatement and demolition to make way for the new development. The work included the hazardous materials removal from precipitators, cooling towers, precipitators, etc.; removal of the former gas plant including all large pipe, pipe supports and lines; all exterior structures including removal of cooling tower; (7) aboveground fuel oil tanks, piping, and supports; power cables, conduit and supports; concrete, ash separator and associated steel supports and piping; vertical water tank and associated supports and piping; removal of (2) acid/caustic tanks and associated supports, piping and containment; etc. Additional change order work under DHGW contract included dewatering of pits, removal and hauling of asphalt parking area and offsite removal of concrete. 

PROJECT SUMMARY:

  • DARI contracted for the removal of asbestos containing materials and miscellaneous components on the exterior of the power plant.
  • DHGW contracted for the removal of all exterior structures, piping and supports, tanks, gas plant, etc.
  • Work involved removal of large piping across several downtown streets.
  • Part of a massive mixed use development project at Wake Forest Innovation Quarter

OWNER / CLIENT:
PTRP Development Corp.

PROJECT COMPLETED:
Dec 2010—April 2011

Back to Top